header

Announcements
Association
Coat of Arms
Edict of Nantes
Revocation of Edict
History
Land Grant
Paradise, PA
New Paltz Huguenots
Biographies
Ancestor Gallery
Homes, Estates Lands & Properties
Family Letters
Gunsmiths
Cemeteries
Carpenter Cemetery
Gazette
Genealogy Humor
& Gleanings
Memorabilia
Qwik Facts
Lineal Societies
Reunion 2014
PastDOMFReunions
OtherFerreeEvents
Ferree Store
Lancaster Webcam
Return to Homepage

Paradise, PA

"Each generation supposes that the world was simpler for the ones before it."
-Eleanor Roosevelt

  • Land grant from William Penn.
  • Located along Pequea Creek in what is now Lancaster County.
  • Settled in 1712 by the Ferrees and other Huguenot families.
  • Paradise became official name of the town with establishment of its "post office" in 1804.
 
The first homes on this land were shelters built of timbers with roofs of hay. They were eventually replaced with log cabins. Over time, fine stone houses were built. Some of those houses are still standing. The pages below feature some of the Ferree homes, those of other prominent families that intermarried with the Ferrees, and Ferree related historic sites.
Click on a site and visit.
     
   
     
 
     
 
     
 
     
 
     
 
     
 
     
 
     
 
     
 

Note: Material for these pages was complied principally from information found in "Paradise, Our Heritage, Our Home" by Robert C. Denlinger; "The Story of the Ferree Family" by Emory Schuyler Ferree; "Ferree Family Gunsmiths" by George Bennett Ferree; "Lancaster County, Pennsylvania Street Map Book"; "Mapquest"; "Leola, Pennsylvania (1999), New Holland Pennsylvania (1999),Quarryville, Pennsylvania (1992), and Gap, Pennsylvania(1994) maps produced by the United States Geological Survey in cooperation with Pennsylvania Department of Conservation and Natural Resources, Bureau of Topographic and Geologic Survey; local merchants' business brochures and advertising phamphlets; and consultants, Robert Denlinger and Charles Heisterkamp.