header

Announcements
Association
Coat of Arms
Edict of Nantes
Revocation of Edict
History
Land Grant
Paradise, PA
New Paltz Huguenots
Biographies
Ancestor Gallery
Homes, Estates Lands & Properties
Family Letters
Gunsmiths
Cemeteries
Carpenter Cemetery
Gazette
Genealogy Humor
& Gleanings
Memorabilia
Qwik Facts
Lineal Societies
Reunion 2014
PastDOMFReunions
OtherFerreeEvents
Ferree Store
Lancaster Webcam
Return to Homepage

Maria Warenbuer Ferree Memorial Plaque

Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. - Anonymous

churchfront
 

In this French Protestant (Huguenot) Church in Charleston, South Carolina, there can be found a plaque honoring the memory of Maria Warenbuer Ferree.

The church located on the corner of Church and Queen Streets in Charleston was founded in 1681 by Huguenot refugees. It is the only remaining independent Huguenot church in America. The original building was destroyed by fire in 1796 and was rebuilt. The present building dates back to1845 surviving the bombardment of Charleston during the Civil War and then later damage from an earthquake. More history of the church and information can be found on their website www.frenchhuguenotchurch.org.

sanctuary The plaque was sponsored in 1942 by Mrs. Harry Clark Bodon (Marguerite) of Newark, Delaware, with a donation of $150.00. Church files show there was some discussion with Mrs. Bodon regarding the various spellings of Warenbuer. Also, because of limited spacing on the plaque it was decided to put Pequea Valley instead of Lancaster County as she had originally requested. Wording is cut into the stone except for a dash following the 16 which represents the birth date of Maria. Since that date could not be determined at the time, a dash was painted on with the thought it could easily be removed and the missing numbers stone cut at a later time once the exact date was known.

 

 

plaqueone

 
 
 
 

 

plaquetwo