header

Announcements
Association
Coat of Arms
Edict of Nantes
Revocation of Edict
History
Land Grant
Paradise, PA
New Paltz Huguenots
Biographies
Ancestor Gallery
Homes, Estates Lands & Properties
Family Letters
Gunsmiths
Cemeteries
Carpenter Cemetery
Gazette
Genealogy Humor
& Gleanings
Memorabilia
Qwik Facts
Lineal Societies
Reunion 2014
PastDOMFReunions
OtherFerreeEvents
Ferree Store
Lancaster Webcam
Return to Homepage

The 17th Pennsylvania Cavalry Gettysburg Monument

"The regiment held this position on the morning of July 1, 1863, from 5 o'clock until the arrival of First Corps troops. The Brigade then moved to the right, covering the roads to Carlisle and Harrisburg and holding the enemy until relieved by troops of the Eleventh Corps. It then took position on the right flank of the infantry, and later, aided in covering the retreat of the Eleventh Corps to Cemetery Hill, where it went into position with the Division on the left of the army." - Inscription on the Monument

 

george

17th Pennsylvania Cavalry/2nd Brigade/1st Division

This impressive monument was placed on the Gettysburg Battlefield by veterans of the 17th Pennsylvania Cavalry. It was dedicated on September 11, 1889. Planning for the monument began in 1886 when a group of the 17th veterans met to discuss putting a memorial on their battleline at Gettysburg. Building of the monument was assigned to the Pennsylvania Monuments Commission. The goal was to create a memorial that was unique, different, and would be typical of the regiment. The sculptor wanted to use an actual veteran of the 17th Pennsylvania and George W. Ferree (a veteran of Company L of the regiment) was chosen to be the model. With much detail in the lifesize sculpture, he is dressed in his original uniform and accoutrements, sitting astride his horse, rifle raised portraying the enemy had been discovered and a warning shot is about to be fired.

Monument Facts
  • Made of Blue Westerly Granite.
  • Weight is about 27 tons.
  • Approximately 11 ft. x 9 ft. x 10 in. x 36 in.
  • Cost about $3,500.
  • Stands near the spot where they stood watch on July 1, 1863.
  • Located at the corner of Buford Avenue & Mummasburg Road.

Sources: Online data www.geocities.com "The 17th Pa. Monument at Gettysburg"; www.waymarking.com "17th Pennsylvania Cavalry, Gettysburg, Pennsylvania-American Civil War Monuments and Memorials"; www.campcurtin.org "Information Security Activities During the Civil War". Photo courtesy of Linda Worstell.